Translate

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Song Activity to Practice Reported Speech

Bitty Block for Group 1
The power of a good song is able to bring generations together. Many of my teen students don't know the Beatles well, but they are fast to recognize good music. I used Stand by Me to practice the use of reported speech. It was a great hit!
________________________________________________________
Type of activivity __________Grammar practice / song activity
Language________________Reported speech
Topic____________________Beloved ones
Time_____________________15 minutes
Age group________________Teens
Level ____________________Intermediate
Materials _________________Powerpoint presentation, song
Webtool _________________You tube
________________________________________________________________
Listen to the song and answer the questions.
Is it a happy song?
Is it a lively song?
What is this song about?
Is it a popular song?
Do you like this song? Why? Why not?

Read the sentences and write true or false.

...... ..1. He said that when the night had come he wouldn’t love her.

........ 2. He said he would be afraid when the land was dark.

........ 3. He said he wouldn’t be afraid as long as she stood by him.

........ 4. He said he wouldn’t shed a tear as long as she stood by him.

........ 5. She said that she would be his girlfriend.

........ 6. He said that he would be happy if she stood by him.

........ 7. He considers himself fortunate.

........ 8. He said she was the only girl for him.


Correct the false ones and write the sentences in the direct speech. Listen to the song again and check.


When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we see
No I won't be afraid
No I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darling, darling stand by me
Oh, now, now, stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountain should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry
No I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darling, darling stand by me
Oh, stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me, stand by me

Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me
Oh, now, now, stand by me
Oh, stand by me, stand by me, stand by me

Darling, darling stand by me
Stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me


Discuss in your groups.


Who would you sing this song for?

Who would you want to be always standing by you?

What other songs would you sing to a person you love? Why?

________________________________________________________

Homework


Bring a song to share with your group. Be prepared to talk about what the lyrics mean.









1 comment: